“All the answers and recommendations were provided not only from a theoretical standpoint but also with a possibility of their practical implementation.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021
“They are probably the best local firm; they’re small, but a solid team which includes former Supreme Court judges.”
“They have a very good sense of teamwork and I came away with a very favourable impression of the entire firm.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
“Responsible, accurate, client-oriented and very pleasant to communicate with.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
“Simply superb team with expertise in litigation and arbitration,
with a strong track record in construction-related disputes.”
The Legal 500 2018
AEQUITAS Dispute Resolution practice focuses for years on complex
Another area of practice is investment arbitration. The firm’s lawyers prepare disputes for international arbitration on a comprehensive basis, from representing the client in local courts to forming the international team,
The firm’s lawyers act on a regular basis as party representatives and arbitrators in commercial arbitration; they are experienced in dispute resolution under the rules of LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, GAFTA, SCC, International Commercial Arbitration Court (ICAC) at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation, and others.
AEQUITAS partners and senior advisors often act as experts before foreign courts and international commercial and investment arbitration. The practice team focuses exclusively on dispute resolution.
The practice team specializes and possesses dispute resolution expertise in the following areas:
- Construction (including FIDIC contracts)
- Labor (the firm is a Ius Laboris affiliate)
- Patent and copyright
- Advisor professional liability
- Financial leasing
- Bankruptcy, rehabilitation and debt restructuring (including finance organizations).
The practice is headed by Valikhan Shaikenov (LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C). Apart from other lawyers, the team includes two honorable
International rating agencies Chambers & Partners (2014) and The Legal 500 (2017) recommend AEQUITAS as Kazakhstan’s leading law firm in Dispute Resolution (Band/Tier 1).
- Preliminary legal analysis of a disputable situation and preparation of a legal opinion regarding its resolution prospects.
- Client representation in all judicial instances and in all kinds of civil and administrative disputes.
Pre-trialdispute settlement (preparation of claims, negotiations to settle the dispute in an extrajudicial procedure, and drafting of dispute settlement agreements and amicable agreements).
- Preparation of all types of court documents (statements of claim, amicable agreements, appeals, motions, statements of defense, rebuttals, etc.).
- Client representation in arbitral tribunals and international commercial arbitrations.
- Advice and assistance in the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Advice on enforcement proceedings and legal support in judicial acts enforcement.
- Client representation in the course of different inspections by governmental agencies.
LEGAL UPDATES & PUBLICATIONS
Shaikenov V., Idayatova A., The Choice of Law Governing Arbitration Procedure and Arbitration Agreement in the Context of the Kazakhstan Legislation // Chambers and Partners. – April 2017
Shaikenov V., Idayatova A. Issues of Construction Guarantee Period Regulation under Kazakh Civil Legislation // The Legal 500. – June 2016. URL: http://www.legal500.com/c/kazakhstan/developments/32172
Shaikenov V. // Impediments to Arbitration Development in Kazakhstan or Why the Effectiveness of Economic Dispute Settlement Suffers // The Legal 500. – December 2015. URL: http://www.legal500.com/c/kazakhstan/developments/30797
You can find a complete list of AEQUITAS publications and information memoranda in Press Center