“The firm offers
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
“Team at has a highly professional approach and provides excellent quality of legal services.”
The Legal 500 2019
“A very well-established firm that handles good-quality work.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
“Distinguished by their high level of academic insight, their excellent practical experience and their ability to prepare excellent written recommendations.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
“Team is known for its deep and detailed analysis of legal issues and legislation and the high quality of its drafted documents.”
The Legal 500 2018
AEQUITAS is particularly proud of its subsoil use practice (oil and gas and solid minerals). The firm’s clients are the world’s largest mining and processing companies. AEQUITAS has accrued huge practical and theoretical expertise in any matters of both current and already abolished or drastically amended Kazakh legislation relating, directly or indirectly, to natural resources.
AEQUITAS lawyers specializing in this area have been advising clients on a most diverse range of issues, including business structuring, asset acquisition and privatization. AEQUITAS lawyers participated many times in negotiations on mineral exploration and production contracts between investors and the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and assisted in international arbitrations and Kazakh courts to settle disputes over matters related to the activities of mining and processing companies.
AEQUITAS experience in the natural resources area is domestically unique, because the firm participated in the projects of national significance and projects completely new to Kazakhstan. AEQUITAS acted as a legal advisor to the US-based Santa Fe Pacific Gold when the latter obtained the first combined gold exploration and production license in the history of Kazakhstan and signed the relevant contract in 1994. Zhaikmunai, Kazakhstan’s leading oil and gas company, signed Chinarevskoe field production sharing agreements with AEQUITAS’s legal assistance.
AEQUITAS implemented a full due diligence of Kazakhmys Corporation LLP and acted as a sole local law expert for all parties to the transaction in connection with Kazakhmys Plc. (the world’s largest copper mining corporation) IPO on the London Stock Exchange.
AEQUITAS partners, Yuri G. Bassin and Olga Chentsova, were engaged to develop legislative acts governing subsoil use activities. They were on the working group to develop the Petroleum Law (1995), and Yuri G. Bassin partook in work on the Subsoil Law (1996). Olga Chentsova, being one of the leading subsoil use lawyers, participated in the development of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Production Sharing Agreements in Offshore Petroleum Operations (2005) and in the preparation of amendments to the Law on Subsoil and Subsoil Use (2006).
Year in, year out, Who’s Who Legal, Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers are rating AEQUITAS partners, Olga Chentsova and Natalya Braynina, among the leading lawyers in Oil & Gas and Energy. Olga Chentsova is the Vice President of Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers’ Association (KPLA).
Local and foreign editions are constantly and for years featuring articles by the firm’s lawyers on various subsoil use legal regulation topics. AEQUITAS has many times prepared subject reviews (Gas Regulation, Oil Regulation and Mining) for IBA’s Getting the Deal Through. AEQUITAS lawyers also prepare, on a regular basis, general overviews of the oil and gas and related legislation for NeftGasPravo Kazakhstana and Petroleum magazines, and materials and articles for the Atyrau International Legal Conference.
- Advice and preparation of legal opinions on various aspects of natural resources legislation, including oil and gas and mining sectors.
- Advice on different options to invest in subsoil assets, with emphasis on such issues as investment protection, profit repatriation, general taxation principles, investment-related financial and registration compliance, insurance, etc.
- Project concept development and advice to choose the best option for the acquisition of interests in subsoil use assets.
- Due diligence of companies in Kazakhstan’s natural resources sector (hydrocarbons, uranium, gold, nickel, zinc, coal, copper, etc.) in connection with M&A transactions.
- Advice regarding exercise of the state’s preemptive right in the event of alienation of subsoil use rights and/or related objects; assistance in the preparation of applications for the state’s waiver of its preemptive right and for permission to alienate the subsoil use rights and/or related objects; monitoring of the process of permitting documents obtainment from the competent authority.
- Negotiations with the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan over minerals exploration and extraction contracts and over settlement of disputes relating to the oil, mining and processing companies’ activities in international arbitration and local courts.
- Drafting, or assisting foreign advisors in the drafting, of transaction documents, including memoranda of understanding, shares sale and purchase agreements, and legal opinions; determination of the conditions precedent and conditions subsequent required for subsoil use projects implementation.
LEGAL UPDATES & PUBLICATIONS
You can find a complete list of AEQUITAS publications and information memoranda in Press Center