Lyailya S. Tleulina
Ms. Tleulina specializes in civil law, civil procedure and international commercial arbitration. She joined AEQUITAS in October 2008, prior to which she worked at local banks and commercial organizations where she gained experience in banking, corporate and tax law and has over 15 years of experience as litigator and commercial arbitration lawyer, focusing on complex multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes and domestic litigation. She exclusively focuses on dispute resolution.
Ms. Tleulina has represented clients, predominantly foreign investors, in commercial litigation matters, with a particular focus on construction, labor & employment, intellectual property, financial leasing, insurance, bankruptcy, and taxation. She successfully applied pre-judicial and extrajudicial methods of dispute resolution. Clients praise her as a supremely intelligent litigator, with thorough knowledge of the law and ability to find creative solutions.
Ms. Tleulina is a member of the Kazakhstan Bar Association and a respondent for the World Bank's Doing Business legislation monitoring program. She has published profound articles on complex legal issues of civil procedure, civil law, commercial arbitration, and enforcement in leading professional journals in Kazakhstan and abroad.
In 1984, Ms. Tleulina graduated with honors from the Kazakh State University (majored in jurisprudence).
She completed training at the seminars Tax Disputes (2013) and Transfer Pricing Basics (2010).
Ms. Tleulina is the author of articles on civil law matters published in local magazines.
MOST REPRESENTATIVE PROJECTS
- Multiple successful representations in courts of a local company affiliated to a world famous concern specializing in energy, construction technologies and automation in disputes arising from construction contracts.
- Successfully appealed in the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan a tax arrears notification issued by the tax authority to a Russian subsoil user company.
- Representation of a number of foreign companies (residents of Switzerland, Russia, Ukraine and Lithuania) in international commercial arbitrations over disputes involving debt recovery and in courts over cases for enforcement of foreign judgments and awards.
- Successful defense in court of foreign and local employer companies involved in labor disputes (approximately 13 cases over the period from 2012 to 2015).
- Ongoing representation in courts of a Russian leasing company in disputes arising out of financial leasing agreements.
- Represented in courts foreign companies to defend the rights of trademark owners.
- Representation in court of foreign and local companies in disputes arising from insurance contracts (to recover insurance payment, to collect damages on a subrogation basis).
- Represented in court a Russian company and its Kazakh affiliate in a corporate dispute.
- Represented in court foreign and local companies in disputes arising from supply and service agreements.
- Appealing the tax inspection results with higher tax authorities.
- Advice to local and foreign companies on various matters related to judicial process, civil procedure, international commercial arbitration, enforcement of Kazakh and foreign judgments and application of the statute of limitations.
- Participation in a due diligence of a group of subsoil user companies and a group of transportation companies.
- Drafting of supply, leaseback, guarantee and other commercial contracts.
- Advice to foreign companies on matters related to the rehabilitation and bankruptcy procedure.
Tleulina L., Idayatova A. The Guide to Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards: Kazakhstan // Global Arbitration Review. – June 2019
Tleulina L., Idayatova A. Litigation and enforcement in Kazakhstan: overview // Thomson Reuters. – February 2019
Tleulina L. Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments and Commercial Arbitration Awards in Kazakhstan // Legal 500. – 2015.
Shaikenov V., Chentsova O., Tleulina L. International Arbitration 2016. Kazakhstan // Chambers Country Practice Guide. // 2015.