AEQUITAS is paying close attention to environmental issues associated with its clients’ projects in Kazakhstan, primarily in the subsoil and energy sectors. The firm’s experience in this area encompasses advice on regulatory issues, legal evaluation of environmental risks and in- and out-of-court client representation in environmental disputes settlement.
The firm treasures its expertise in this area, which includes assistance to ExxonMobil Corporation in preparing a classifier of environmental and other legislation governing environmental issues and representation of Tengizchevroil LLP in the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan in connection with a dispute over environmental damage compensation. AEQUITAS provided consulting services to Offshore Kazakhstan International Operating Company (OKIOC) implementing an oil exploration project in the Caspian region.
The key clients using AEQUITAS environmental legal services are the leading local and international companies active in the construction, industrial production and subsoil use sectors in Kazakhstan.
One of AEQUITAS last major projects was the work to improve the local environmental legislation. In the framework of this project, the firm’s lawyers developed the environmental legislation improvement concept and drafted amendments to a number of legislative and subordinate acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan: Environmental Code, Administrative Code, Tax Code, Subsoil Law, etc.
- Advice regarding environmental law issues, environmental-and-legal regime of oil production and processing by-products (sulfur, gas), storage of mining and mining-processing waste, and statutory liability issues.
- Client representation in court in connection with environmental damage compensation disputes.
- Client representation in challenging, in and out of court, the resolutions of governmental agencies issued as a result of environmental compliance inspections.
- Advice regarding environmental requirements with respect to importation and operation of certain goods and equipment.
- Environmental compliance legal due diligence.
LEGAL UPDATES & PUBLICATIONS
You can find a complete list of AEQUITAS publications and information memoranda in Press Center